Re: Preparations for 5.3.2 release

On 09/28/2011 03:36 AM, Sergey Petrunya wrote:
> Hi!
>
> As discussed on the yesterday's call, we're starting to prepare for the
> next 5.3 release, 5.3.2 beta. The intent is to build it on this or on the
> next weekend.
>
> Before the release, we need to do
> 1. Bugs
> 2. optimizer_switch changes.
> 3. Merge from mariadb-5.1
>
> We don't need to address:
> 1. Pushing Kristian's replication features. If I heard correctly, the
>    decision was that they won't be pushed into 5.3 (please correct me
>    if I am wrong)
>
> == Bugs ==
>
> Current situation with 5.3-targeted bugs is as follows:
>
> Crashing bugs:
> - SergeyP: 3 + 2 non-repeatable (#860535 #860553 #861147
>                                  #860561 (non-repeatable)
>                                  #860580 (non-repeatable))
> - Timour:  2  (#824425 #858148)
> - Nobody:  1  (#859375)
>
> Wrong query result bugs:
> - Timour: 8  (#858038 #817966 #833777 #825051 #826150 #747278 #833702 #856152)
> - Igor :  2  (#823301 #791761)
#791761 was actually fixed (rev.3127)

> - Sanja:  1  (#825075)
>

> I have a slight excuse that all my crasing bugs were filed just yesterday.
> I'll try to fix them before the release.
>
> Another problem area is Timour's crashes + wrong query result bugs.
>
> Also, we need to assign #859375.
>
> == optimizer_switch changes ==
>
> Some of the new optimizations are already sufficiently stable so that they can
> be made enabled by default.
>
> From the code quality point of view, Philip's opinion is:
> - subquery_cache can be turned ON.
> - join_cache_level can be set to value higher than 1, and also
We can't do it unless we set a minimum number of rows in join cache that
allows using blocked-based join algorithms,
or better we calculate the cost of possible usage of join cache and
make a fair choice.

>   various variants of BKA/Hash join may be enabled.
> - MRR can be enabled
> - index_condition_pushdown can be enabled
>
> - Materialization still has bugs, cannot be enabled.
> - semi-joins+materialization cannot be enabled together, there are bugs.
> - semi-joins without materialization cause non-repeatable crashes, so
>   cannot be enabled yet.
> - FROM subqueries/derived tables optimization didn't recieve sufficient testing
>   yet, so cannot be enabled.
>
> Note that the above is based only on the number of known crashes/wrong query
> result problems, performance issues are not counted.
>

> My opinion is that
> - subquery_cache can be enabled.
> - index_conditi,on_pushdown can be enabled.
My big patch that incorporates InnoDB changes from mysql-5.6 for ICP is
still not merged with latest version of 5.3.

Regards.
Igor.