Re: How you build the MariaDB packages for Ubuntu

Marian Marinov <mm@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm trying to build MariaDB packages for CentOS.
> But the problem I have is that the Policy of the distro does not allow
> packages that are drop-in replacements of core packages.
> Meaning that I can not simply build MariaDB which will provide libmysqlclient
> and mysql binaries.
>
> Can you share with me what is the situation over in the Debian/Ubuntu camp ?

In Debian/Ubuntu, there are no "Official" MariaDB packages yet. The ones we
provide do replace the standard mysql packages, which is possible since there
are no policies enforced for 3rd-party repositories.

It will need to be fixed eventually, of course. The normal way I think in
Debian is to have MariaDB and MySQL as alternatives, just like Some versions
of Ubuntu/Debian have mysql-5.0 and mysql-5.1 as alternatives (can install one
or the other, but not both).

It is not 100% clear to me what your situation is (I'm not much familiar with
CentOS or RPM). Are you saying that the MariaDB packages you create *must* be
possible to install alongside the Official CentOS packages?

In that case I suppose you have little option but to run mariadb on a
different port, different data directory, different socket, different binary
names. It seems to be sub-optimal for users, as they would need to reconfigure
anything they want to use with MariaDB away from the standard port/names in
the MySQL world.

Still, this is perfectly possible to do. Configure a non-standard port in your
my.cnf, build and install mariadb with a different --prefix, /opt/mariadb or
whatever.