Re: Text for 5.5.21 documentation and release notes

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 10:36:20 +0100
Kristian Nielsen <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kristian> Hi Daniel,
Kristian>
Kristian> I have pushed MWL#192 to 5.5.21. This introduces a minor
Kristian> change in functionality. I hope you can find a good place to
Kristian> put this in the documentation/knowledgebase. Here is
Kristian> suggested text, let me know if you have questions, and feel
Kristian> free to improve the text as you like:
Kristian>
Kristian>     "In MySQL, and in MariaDB versions before 5.5.21,
Kristian> mysql_real_connect() removes from the MYSQL object any
Kristian> options set with mysql_option() when it fails. From MariaDB
Kristian> 5.5.21, options are preserved by a failing
Kristian> mysql_real_connect(); use mysql_close(), as normal, to clear
Kristian> them.
Kristian>
Kristian>     This only has effect if the MYSQL object is reused after a
Kristian>     mysql_real_connect() failure (which is unusual). No
Kristian> real-life incompatibilities are expected from this change; it
Kristian> is unlikely that an application will rely on options being
Kristian> automatically removed between connection attempts."
Kristian>
Kristian> (I am preparing information for you to fully document the new
Kristian> MWL#192 feature; I will send it to you later).

I'll get this added to the preliminary 5.5.21 release notes, and get
the other documentation you prepped added to the KB. If I have any
questions, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

--
Daniel Bartholomew