Re: Thoughts on Global Transaction ID, parallel slave, and multi-source replication

On Thu, Aug 09, 2012 at 11:34:44AM +0200, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> So my suggestion is: rather than struggle to try and merge and support the
> MySQL 5.6 Global Transaction ID and parallel slave, let us instead implement
> something like the above idea, with multiple Source IDs on the master, and
> parallel execution of distinct replication streams on the slave. I believe
> this will be no more work, and the end result will be both simpler and more
> flexible.

As far I understood the proposal, it means that we will loose Master<->Slave
compatibility between MariaDB and MySQL?  (that is, it will no longer be
possible to hook MariaDB slave to a MySQL master, or vice versa). This may be
a problem. Of course,

- In order for this to become a problem, MySQL's GTID replication must be
widely used in production, which may be not in the nearest future, if our
assesment of the state of their code is correct.

- We can make MariaDB slave be able to handle MySQL GTID replication master.
One probably will not be able to put MariaDB servers at arbitrary points in
MySQL GTID replication hierarchy, but being able to function as a "sink" or
as a "source" will solve the problem for 90%.

BR
Sergei Petrunia, Software Developer
Monty Program AB, http://askmonty.org
Blog: http://s.petrunia.net/blog