答复: MDEV-520: consider parallel replication patch from taobao patches

Hi, Kristian

Thank you very much for looking  into the patch and comments. You have got a deep understanding of the patch.

Let's discuss the issues one by one.
About Bugs:
1. There indeed is a possible invalid memory access in get_pk_value(). I have changed the definition of  st_hash_item::key  to char[1024+2*NAME_CHAR_LEN+2], and when building the hash key, if (item->key_len + pack_length >= 1024) break;
   This can guarantee that, even if the total length of the primary key is bigger than 1024, at least one key_part of the key can be recorded into the hash_key.(As the max length of one key_part is 1000 in  MySQL).
   As you mentioned in last mail,  this can lead to false positives  where potential parallelism is not exploited, but that is still safe and should be ok.

2. The problem of case insensitivity is a bug. I will modify it in next version. Simply we can test the definition in the table schema, and decide whethere change the string to lower case before adding to pk_hash.

3. There is lock protection in  dispatch_transaction(). It is pk_hash_lock in the function "check_pk_exist_key"

4. When deadlock occurs, the whole transaction needs to retry. In current implement, a whole transaction is packed into one "Query", so retrying a query is equal to one transaction.

5. We handle the events including Query_event, Table_map_event, Write_row_event, Update_row_event, Delete_row_event, Xid_event. For all other events, in current implement, I just run it locally (that is in Transfer), but not in the remote_slave. This will lose some information when master use statment-based-binlog. If the master use row-based-binlog, I have not found the serious affects in data consistency.
  As I told you before, I am changing the patch to make the patched mysqld as a "pure" slave. In the pure slave mode, all other events will be treated like a DDL statement.That means an User_var_event will wait for all the worker queues to be empty, and call ev->apply_event. Is this strategy suitable? Pleast point out if there are potential problems.

About some strategies
1. For simplify , I used some sleep(1000000) in the patch, a condition variable will be better, it will be modified in future, but not the highest priority.

2. Huge transactions may lead to the memory usage and cpu load, thank you for pointing it out, I never think of it before. I think we can deal with it in this way: If a transaction contains too many events, such as bigger than a centain number, we can treat it like a DDL statement. Because it will be executed after all the worker queues to be empty, there is no "order problem" here, so we do not need to construct the pk_hash. Please give me some suggestion for this issue.

3. There are N(default as 16) threads for parallel execution. But the No. 0 thread is special. It is used for the transactions whose affecting rows do not have any primary key or unique key, that means all modification on no-primary-rows will be execute serially.

About uses and plans
I tested it using some simple cases,  valgrind used during the cases. The important method for testing is using the productive data. Before a project use it, a necessary step is to build a slave(and a Transfer) in the test environment, data consistency will be checked after running for some days.
In my plan, the next modification is to change it to the "pure slave", that is to run every event using the ev->apply_event directly locally. After it is done, the test-case suit can be used for test.

I will ping you after I upload the new version of the patch.

Thanks
Xiaobin