Re: Summary of the MDEV-3882 (.deb upgrade from mysql to mariadb fails due to apt-get considering it a downgrade)

[Moving the discussion to maria-developers@, please use the public mailing
lists for discussions like this]

Alexey Botchkov <holyfoot@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> No matter what dependencies or new packages i created inside MariaDB,
> Debian's first idea was to try to install the 'later' version of
> libmysqlclient18. At the moment
> that was the Oracle's one. Yes, we could change our version's number to be
> 'later' than Oracle's, but that would turn same problems on MySQL, and

Not really. It's not "Oracle's", it is the native Debian/Ubuntu package. So if
users want MariaDB, they can add our repository. If they want the official
Debian/Ubuntu package, they can just not add our repository.

So it makes sense that when users explicitly add the MariaDB repository, they
get the MariaDB version of all the packages automatically.

> would help us only temporarely - to the moment Oracle releases even
> later' version.

We can use epoch to ensure that our version will always be bigger than the
official Debian/Ubuntu version of MySQL:

    http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Version

Something like 1:5.5.29-mariadb1~wheezy. This will always be prefered by
apt-get over any official Debian package.

> I didn't find anything that could affect apt-get and guys on #Debian
> didn't recommend anything.

I believe it works to specify desired version explicitly, as mentioned in the
bug report as workaround:

    sudo apt-get install mariadb-server libmysqlclient18=5.5.29-mariadb1~wheezy

> So for now i'd do about this:
> - change nothing in the existing mariadb-produced debian packages.
> - recommend to use 'aptitude' installing the mariadb-server on Debian.

> So how do you like my proposal? Any other ideas?

I think it is better if we use the epoch to make MariaDB upgrades work
automatically with both apt-get and aptitude, like they used to.

Did you check how Percona handles the similar problem?