Re: mariadb-server not installable on Debian Testing AMD64

Hello Kristian, *,
sorry for the delay, but had not the time to test the last days ... :(

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:22:25AM +0100, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Thomas Hackert <thackert@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > [....] Starting MariaDB database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . .
> > . . . . . . . . FAIL . . . . . . . failed!
> > invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
>
> The problem is a failure while starting the server.

? I had not installed mysql-server (and its dependencies) before ... :(
It seems, that it is a problem to try to stop a non-installed server
before starting it, or am I wrong ;?

> You need to find the error messages in the server error log. On my system
> (Debian testing) it is in /var/log/daemon.log.

Are you sure? My last entry there is from May 1st ... ;) Neither dmesg
nor any other log files seems to report anything wrt mysqld ... :( But I
discovered, that mysql itself creates a /var/log/mysql directory as well
as *.err and *.log files (which are empty files). In /v/l/mysql are some
mariadb-bin.00000$X binary files with one index file. Could they be of
any help? And how do I use them?

I am using Debian Testing AMD64 as well ... ;)

> Find the messages logged by
> mysqld, and if they do not provide you the answer immediately, send them to
> the list.

If I had any messages there, which differs from my formerly pasted ones
... ;)

> Often such problems are existing /etc/mysql/my.cnf and/or old data directory
> that are incompatible. If you are *sure* you do not need any existing data,
> you can also try to purge (remove is not enough) all mysql/mariadb related

Well, to purge is my preferred way to remove packages ... ;)

> packages and try install again. This will *remove* any existing database and
> let you try a fresh start.

But this does not remove /etc/mysql, /var/lib/mysql, the aforementioned
logs ... :(

> Else check the error messages and probably the problem can be corrected.

/If/ there would be any ... :( Would it be of any help, if I install a
logging daemon (not sure, why I have no syslogd and/or alternatives of
it installed ... :( I was pretty sure, that some progs need to log every
now and then ... ;) )? But only one with no dependencies to mail servers
or the like, please ... ;)

I had tested it a little bit further. My findings so far:
1. I started the purging of mariadb and its dependencies again.
2. Started to install mariadb-server again. Still the same error message
... :(
3. Purged it again, removed all founded mysql files and directories, and
tried to install mariadb-server again, but to no avail ... :(

Sorry for the inconvenience and have a nice evening
Thomas.

--
Cancel me not -- for what then shall remain?
Abscissas, some mantissas, modules, modes,