Re: GTID and replication of mysql database

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 1:02 AM, Kristian Nielsen
<knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> To change the
>>> GTID position, use SET GLOBAL gtid_pos='0-1-10', which will update
>>> mysql.rpl_slave_state as needed.
>>
>> Hm... In what situation this could be necessary?
>
> It's not really needed. You might use it to specify starting position for a
> new slave, as an alternative to master_file_name and master_file_pos.

I still don't quite understand when this can be necessary except maybe
for tests. New slave should be restored from backup and thus it will
already have this information in rpl_slave_state. Completely new just
bootstrapped slave makes sense only if master was started completely
new recently. But then slave will start to replay master's binlogs
from the very beginning, right? What am I missing?

Pavel