Re: Installing jemalloc on build VMs

Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I'm getting ready to install jemalloc on the buildslaves for TODO-459 -
> https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/TODO-459 , and wanted to know if
> there was a preferred way to do it. Since we want to use a specific
> version of jemalloc (3.1.0), I figured I would build from source on all
> of the build machines.

Has this been thought through properly with respect to packaging? My guess is
it has not.

For .debs, which are what I know about, it is generally expected that one can
rebuild from `apt-get source mariadb-server`. This requires proper build
dependencies. It doesn't work to install random stuff on random machines.

It does not appear that jemalloc 3.1 is available on most .deb distros we
support. Wheezy seems to have 3.0.0.

It is said that tokutek "requires" jemalloc - maybe it would be better to fix
tokutek to work with standard libraries?

The proper way to produce .debs with custom jemalloc requires creating new
custom packages for libjemalloc and including them in our repos.