Re: Installing jemalloc on build VMs

Hi, Kristian!

On Apr 25, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Daniel Bartholomew <dbart@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm getting ready to install jemalloc on the buildslaves for
> > TODO-459 - https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/TODO-459 , and
> > wanted to know if there was a preferred way to do it. Since we want
> > to use a specific version of jemalloc (3.1.0), I figured I would
> > build from source on all of the build machines.
>
> Has this been thought through properly with respect to packaging? My
> guess is it has not.
>
> For .debs, which are what I know about, it is generally expected that
> one can rebuild from `apt-get source mariadb-server`. This requires
> proper build dependencies. It doesn't work to install random stuff on
> random machines.

We have already done it, thrift is randomly installed on our random
builders, so one cannot build cassandra from `apt-get source
mariadb-server`.

And we don't have source rpms either.

So I don't think it'll be a big problem if we install jemalloc randomly
on our builders. Although I didn't try it, I suspect that tokutek can
build with the glibc malloc, it just won't perform that well. So one
still be able to build from  `apt-get source mariadb-server`.

> It does not appear that jemalloc 3.1 is available on most .deb distros
> we support. Wheezy seems to have 3.0.0.

Zardosht said that any jemalloc version is ok, if I'm not mistaken.

> It is said that tokutek "requires" jemalloc - maybe it would be better
> to fix tokutek to work with standard libraries?

I doubt that it's feasible.