MYSQL_TYPE_DECIMAL type

Hello all,

Under what circumstances can a table be created with
MYSQL_TYPE_DECIMAL as being one of the columns? I thought
MYSQL_TYPE_DECIMAL was deprecated pre 5.1. I thought all new tables
use MYSQL_TYPE_NEWDECIMAL.

We have a user reporting a table he wants to alter has that type.
However, when I create that table, I don't get that type.

As an aside, we don't support that type, mainly because I thought it
was impossible to have a table created with it (I am apparently
wrong).

Is there a way to ensure that tables undergoing an alter convert that
column to MYSQL_TYPE_NEWDECIMAL?

Thanks
-Zardosht

Follow ups