Re: Forked mytop - conflicts, issues

On Fri, 3 May 2013 15:07:50 +0200, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, Honza!

On May 03, Honza Horak wrote:
Hi guys,

MariaDB forked mytop utility source some time back, but it causes some
issues for us in Fedora for example (and similarly in other
distributions I guess) -- particularly the MariaDB's binary mytop
conflicts with the same utility from separate package mytop. So, I'd
like to take a look at possible solutions.

Since there was a small commit in mytop upstream few weeks back, it
doesn't really look like totally dead upstream. So the ideal solution from my POV would be including enhancements that MariaDB did to mytop back to upstream and not including mytop utility in MariaDB any more.

Would something like that be possible from the perspective of MariaDB?

Yes, certainly. I'm not sure why somebody did it in the first place.
But we've had this conflict issue also on Ubuntu and CentOS:

  https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-519
  https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3952

both bugs are closed, and now we don't include mytop either in .deb or
in .rpm packages.

MariaDB mytop is in 10.0.0 EL6 rpms. And mytop has dependencies there
that aren't listed in the rpm (some perl modules).

If mytop isn't going to be dropped from MariaDB in favour of upstream,
I would suggest it is at least packaged up as a separate MariaDB package
(e.g. MariaDB-mytop), with properly listed perl dependencies so they
are pulled in during a yum install.

mytop that ships with MariaDB seems very different and more detailed
than what is available in epel, though - but that could just be
epel being way out of date...

Gordan