Re: Forked mytop - conflicts, issues

Hi!

On 3 May 2013, at 21:18, Gordan Bobic <gordan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 May 2013 15:07:50 +0200, Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi, Honza!
>>
>> On May 03, Honza Horak wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> MariaDB forked mytop utility source some time back, but it causes some
>>> issues for us in Fedora for example (and similarly in other
>>> distributions I guess) -- particularly the MariaDB's binary mytop
>>> conflicts with the same utility from separate package mytop. So, I'd
>>> like to take a look at possible solutions.
>>>
>>> Since there was a small commit in mytop upstream few weeks back, it
>>> doesn't really look like totally dead upstream. So the ideal solution
>>> from my POV would be including enhancements that MariaDB did to mytop
>>> back to upstream and not including mytop utility in MariaDB any more.
>>>
>>> Would something like that be possible from the perspective of MariaDB?
>>
>> Yes, certainly. I'm not sure why somebody did it in the first place.
>> But we've had this conflict issue also on Ubuntu and CentOS:
>>
>>  https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-519
>>  https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-3952
>>
>> both bugs are closed, and now we don't include mytop either in .deb or
>> in .rpm packages.
>
> MariaDB mytop is in 10.0.0 EL6 rpms. And mytop has dependencies there
> that aren't listed in the rpm (some perl modules).
>
> If mytop isn't going to be dropped from MariaDB in favour of upstream,
> I would suggest it is at least packaged up as a separate MariaDB package
> (e.g. MariaDB-mytop), with properly listed perl dependencies so they
> are pulled in during a yum install.
>
> mytop that ships with MariaDB seems very different and more detailed
> than what is available in epel, though - but that could just be
> epel being way out of date...

Thanks for informing us. I'll take it as a task to look at mytop properly next week and fix it, seems like its low hanging fruit

created: https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-4476 as a tracker

--
Colin Charles, http://bytebot.net/blog/ | twitter: @bytebot | skype: colincharles
MariaDB: Community developed. Feature enhanced. Backward compatible.