Re: Fwd: MariaDB release numbering

Hi, Jorge!

On Apr 28, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:

> On our work packaging MariaDB for Gentoo, me and Robin need to decide how
> to deal with the packaging of MySQL vs MariaDB and to that it would be
> really helpful to have an idea of how you plan to number your future
> releases.
> AFAIK, currently we can compare MySQL vs MariaDB as:
>
> MySQL       MariaDB
> 5.1              5.1 / 5.2 / 5.3
> 5.5              5.5 (including MariaDB features from 5.2/5.3)
> 5.6              10.0 (based on MySQL 5.5 with backports from MySQL 5.6
>                     and features from previous MariaDB versions)
> 5.7             ???
>
> The first question for us is what version number will you use for a newer
> version based on MySQL-5.7.

We haven't decided yet. 10.1 will certainly be based on 10.0 plus more
5.6 features and and our own additions.

After that? It might be 10.2 or 11.0. With or without 5.7 features,
depending on how 5.7 will develop and when it'll be released.

> Another question is if you plan to port all your work to the 5.7
> codebase or if you'll keep working on the current 10.0 codebase and do
> backports from 5.7 (like you did for MySQL 5.6).

Most probably we'll continue to extend the 10.0 code base, and
selectively backport features from 5.6 and 5.7.

> A second question is whether you still claim binary compatibility with
> MySQL[1] and how would you compare the latest versions of MariaDB and MySQL
> (10.0 vs 5.6, 5.7).
>
>  [1] - https://kb.askmonty.org/en/mariadb-versus-mysql-compatibility/

Not quite with 5.6, we'd need to test it.
There are few features there that might break the compatibility.
In particular, we don't (and probably won't) support global transaction
ids 5.6-style.

> Any info you can share on the release versioning plans would be really
> helpful. If this is still too early for any definitions or comments, is
> there any way we can follow or learn about such decisions?
> Thank you and regards,

Our release schedule plans are public on Jira: mariadb.org/jira
Is that what you mean?