Re: RFC: Pausing a query thread

I think it is a known issue wiht 'hsared hosting' . Any user can fire a
query killing the server (for example causing excessive memory load ude to
a cartesian join on huge tables, or CPU due a a routine entering an
infinite loop. It can be both due to user's lack of skills og even be a
malicious attack/teeny experiment.

I have always wondered how hosting companies handled that. MySQL does not
provide any mechanism for 'isolating server resources per user or per
database or whatever'. Still MySQL has been the most popular choice of
database for such hosting companies for a decade. I think that in extreme
cases most 'shared hosting will kill such query and sometimes warn users if
it repeats frequently.  But cases can alos be valid. Some queries require
lot of memory or CPU or whatever.

I think Marian's request for an admin option to pause a specific query is a
reasonable workaround.  But only that.  A priority setting by the server
for queries|users|databases and automatic allocation of resources
accordingly would be a better option.

>From one that used 'shared hosting' quite a lot many years ago - but who
did not for 6-7 years at least.

Peter