Re: MariaDB 10/trunk (re)install destructively overwrites existing my.cnf* @ spec'd SYSCONFDIR

No, MYSQL does not understand INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR.  This is MariaDB specific
option, and it is solely used to build RPMs. If it is  used, some files are
copied some files into  the directory specified as INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR (this
should not come as surprise?) .
Since CMake based "make install"  will ever make backup copies of existing
files, and just overwrite  existing files, and yes, it will overwrite your
my.cnf

However, If you just wish to specify additional directory to look for
my.cnf, but not to create my.cnf during installation - I guess this is what
you're after- then  you should use DEFAULT_SYSCONFDIR instead. It will work
with MySQL and with MariaDB and this is what lands in config.h (as seen in
config.h.cmake template in the root source directory). No files will be
installed if you set only this option.

> The INSTALL process *destructively* overwrites the existing my.cnf

> If that's intended, how are we to exec a mariadb install without
> overwriting our config files/dirs?

Yes, intended. INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR will install some files,  my.cnf among
them.