Re: MariaDB 10/trunk (re)install destructively overwrites existing my.cnf* @ spec'd SYSCONFDIR

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013, at 03:24 PM, Vladislav Vaintroub wrote:
> No, MYSQL does not understand INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR.

My bad.  You're absolutely right.  It understands/uses:

  -DSYSCONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/mysql \

cat INSTALL-SOURCE
 * -DSYSCONFDIR=dir_name
       The default my.cnf option file directory.
       This location cannot be set at server startup, but you can
       start the server with a given option file using the
       --defaults-file=file_name option, where file_name is the full
       path name to the file.

> However, If you just wish to specify additional directory to look for
> my.cnf, but not to create my.cnf during installation - I guess this is
> what
> you're after- then  you should use DEFAULT_SYSCONFDIR instead. It will
> work
> with MySQL and with MariaDB and this is what lands in config.h (as seen
> in
> config.h.cmake template in the root source directory). No files will be
> installed if you set only this option.

There's no trace of DEFAULT_SYSCONFDIR in my MySQL source, just the
SYSCONFDIR as above.  I suspect it's the same.

But, I did find it in the MariaDB tree.  Hadn't looked past the
INSTALL_SYSCONFDIR I'd originally found.  :-/

Since I want BOTH convenient access to the latest build's default
configs, AND to have 'my' working files left along, a combination of

  -DDEFAULT_SYSCONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/mariadb \
  -DINSTALL_SYSCONFDIR=/usr/local/etc/mariadb.DEFAULT \

works quite nicely with MariaDB for me.

Thanks for clarifying!