Re: 10.x compatibility and separate namespace

Hi Honza,

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 08:05:30AM +0200, Honza Horak wrote:
> since 10.x won't be compatible with mysql in every aspect any more, I'm
> wondering if there happen to be any plans to move all compatibility
> left-overs (client binary names, client library name, daemon binary
> name, etc.). Are there any such ideas?
>
> I understand that we would lose the compatibility for any later (keeping
> original names was mentioned in [1] as a MUST for compatibility), but
> when keeping the original names, it could become tricky to say which
> tools are compatible and which not any more in mariadb 10+. How this
> information will be provided actually? How to get users informed
> properly, which tools are not compatible any more?

Sorry for delay with reply, a lot of MariaDB team are currently on vacation.
This also means - if you want a definite answer on this, it's better to ask
this question again in a couple of weeks.

As far as I my understanding goes: compatibility with MySQL is not a
left-over. MariaDB is still very much compatible.
All client binaries are compatible, for example. The number of incompatibilities
between mysql binaries and mariadb binaries is not greater than the number of
incompatibilities between major mysql releases.

Perhaps, it makes sense to introduce /usr/bin/mariadb as a link to /usr/bin/mysql.

> And a bit another POV -- is the incompatibility in 10.x strictly limited
> to the server only (so client side will stay compatible for anytime
> later)?

I believe so (but I am not closely involved with client-side tools).

> [1] https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-discuss/msg00658.html

BR
Sergei Petrunia, Software Developer
Monty Program AB, http://askmonty.org