Re: benchmarking next steps

My analysis was based on benchmarks and described in a few blog posts. This
is interesting for a few reasons.
1) replication is single-threaded at least for a few more years. Eventually
we will all have the Kristian-inspired idea of getting parallel replication
apply even when there is only one database shard and that helps some. But
there are always some workloads that really are single threaded on the
master and during replication apply.
2) fast storage means that IO-bound workloads might be able to get 100,000+
IOPs on a commodity server. So even when IO-bound we need much higher
throughput in the past
3) At least with public-facing information Oracle doesn't write about this
topic. Their performance focus is high concurrency.
4) RAM per host is much larger so more workloads are not IO bound and
expect high throughput

I don't think a complex workload is needed to show the problem. sysbench
and dbt might be sufficient. linkbench should also be useful to MariaDB.

http://mysqlha.blogspot.com/2013/09/mysql-41-forever.html
http://mysqlha.blogspot.com/2013/09/single-threaded-connect-performance.html
http://mysqlha.blogspot.com/2013/09/mysql-572-single-threaded-performance.html
http://mysqlha.blogspot.com/2013/05/mysql-56-single-threaded-performance.html