Parallel replication benchmarks

I've done a set of benchmarks for parallel replication on the same machine I
used previously for my group commit benchmarks,
http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/16382.html

The code tested is the newest code in the bzr repository and what will be in
10.0.9 (this is significantly improved from what is in 10.0.8).

I plan to write up a blog post about it in a couple of days with nice graphs,
but meanwhile Axel asked me to summarise in this mail.

I tested with sysbench 0.5, using oltp.lua (medium-sized transactions) and
update_index.lua (minimal transactions with just a single primary-key update
per transaction). I used 10M rows, 16GB buffer pool and 2 * 1.9 GB redo logs.
This is with a single table.

I tested simply by preparing the binlog on the master, then setting up an
already prepared slave and doing START SLAVE UNTIL the end of the log. The
error log then shows the time spent for the slave to catch up. I tested
everyting in GTID mode, as that is the recommended mode for parallel
replication (though my guess is that old-style replication will be much the
same, there isn't much difference in the code between what is done to actually
execute events).

Node that these tests are for in-order parallel replication. All commits on
all slaves happen in the same order as on the master; the use of parallel
replication is invisible to applications. This is in contrast to eg. MySQL 5.6
multi-threaded slave, which requires the application to partition its data
into independent schemas.

Here are the prelimiary results, in number of seconds for the slave to catch
up (lower is better) versus number of threads (--slave-parallel-threads, 0
means not using parallel replication):

For oltp.lua. 48 threads used to generate the load on the master, and
--binlog-commit-wait-count=12 --binlog-commit-wait-usec=10000 to allow the
server to delay a commit by up to 10 milliseconds in order to get more group
commit and thus more opportunities for parallel apply on the slave: