Re: Some questions on GSOC project User Defined Event

Hi, Savita!

On Mar 09, Savita Agrawal wrote:

> As far as I know user defined events are supposed to save applications
> resources used in polling. But I think the application developer could
> have created a trigger and udf and use lib_mysqludf_sys to invoke
> external application. But there are security issues in this method.
> Is it the primary/only reason for this project?

It has little to do with external applications. The idea is to be able
to wait for something to happen. It might be used with external
applications, I agree:

  WAIT EVENT
    WHEN mysqldump_finished BEGIN
    END

and then run mysqldump (in another window) that will
POST mysqldump_finished.

But waiting could also be useful without external applications.