Re: [GSoC] Accepted student ready to work : )

Hi Pablo,

On 4/22/2014 10:14 AM, Pablo Estrada wrote:
Hello Sergei, Elena and everyone,
I'm Pablo, and I was selected as part of Google Summer of Code 2014 to
work on the project "*Statistically optimize mysql-test runs by running
less tests*". First of all, thank you very much for having selected me
for the project. I am very excited to start reading, reviewing data and
coding up.

I see that Elena will be my mentor. Nice to meet you Elena : )

Nice to meet you too and welcome!

To begin with, I am focusing on the *Buildbot documentation*, to
*(1)understand how the data is organized* inside it, and to *(2)*figure
out *how to add the extra functionality* into the BuildBot.

I want to get started with the data analysis, so it would be great if
you could help me with the following things:

 1. Sergei, you said you did a bit of research into this. Do you have
    your *previous results*, or *any papers* that you have read that you
    could suggest to me?

I assume you have already seen the JIRA task https://mariadb.atlassian.net/browse/MDEV-5776, which gives an overall picture of what Sergei had in mind. There was also an email thread which contained some information, particularly this email https://lists.launchpad.net/maria-developers/msg06972.html.

I suppose if Sergei has something else to add, he will.

 2. Can I get *access to the buildbot database* to look at the data? If
    not, can I get the E/R model, or any scheme of *how the data looks
    like?*

I will send you the current data dump from the buildbot database (or rather a link where you can download it from).

      * I understand that maybe the data is not just a single database.
        I am starting by *reading the buildbot documentation*, to
        understand how the stuff is organized in it.

Please note that our current buildbot master is running on version 0.8.5 in case it makes a difference, I suppose it might.

 3. *Any other information* that you consider useful for me to know? Any
    advice?

As Sergei probably mentioned before, and as you will see from the buildbot data, it doesn't contain bzr revision IDs, only revision numbers. It doesn't matter much as long as you only need to ensure uniqueness, as you can always generate fake ones, but it will cause a problem when you need to map the results to the real bzr change sets, because unlike revIDs, reNos are not not necessarily persistent. In many cases they can be restored from bzr logs, but it will require additional efforts. We can get back to it if/when you find out that you really need them but don't know how to get them.

Regards,
Elena

And that's all I have for now. I'm looking forward to getting started!

Regards
Pablo