Re: [GSoC] First two weeks into coding! - James' comments

Hi James,

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:15 PM, James Briggs <james.briggs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Sriram.
>
> I read your CREATE OR REPLACE DATABASE
> code and have some comments:
>
> 1) I noticed that you directly mysql_rm_db the database
> before creating it. Please ask your mentor if
> it would be better to rename it, obtain a
> successful create status, then delete the old db.
>
> Currently, if the disk is full, you could lose
> the original db and also the new one.
>
> 2) mysql_rm_db has a side-effect of USE nothing;
> if the db name matches the current db.
>
> You may want to do mysql_change_db_impl()
>  after the create logic to undo that.

> 3) This code impacts binary logging/replication, so you
> need to test that as well.
>
> 4) Old comments refer to automatic DDL locking.
> You should trace how that works (or not)
> with your code. For example, are you 100% sure
> another thread cannot create "db" after
> the mysql_rm_db call?

Let me look into all these issues that you have brought up. Will get back
to you on these soon. About test cases, yes, the tests that I have written
are very basic, have not gone into the detail but I am going to write
thorough test cases as I dig more into the code.

> " These DDL methods and logging are protected with the exclusive
> metadata lock on the schema." Verify?
>
> 5) I like your blog effort. Can you add links to
> github files so it's easier for reviewers to navigate?

Yes, sure I will do that for my blogs no on.

Thanks for the review!