Re: comments to the plugin.h

Hi, Kristian!

On Jul 03, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > I'm kind of lost here. I really don't like requiring engines to do more
> > obligatory things, but I don't see a good way around it either.
>
> Agree, that's how I felt while trying to think of _any_ way to solve these
> problems. I ended up with current solution, but not entirely happy about it.
>
> At least, we have some more ideas now to improve things.
>
> What should be the next step?

As you suggested on irc, it would make sense to make a smaller
innodb/xtradb only fix in 10.0 and a more engine-friendly, with the new
api, in 10.1

> > I thought that if a transaction is rolled back, you can, technically
> > force *all* later transactions to roll back too and redo them all.
> > But that'd be kind of expensive.
>
> It's not the expensive that worries me. The problem is that some of
> the following transactions may not be possible to roll back.

Ah, yes, indeed. We could still

1. rollback regardless and possibly break replication in this case.
   saying that a transactional engine will work without modifications in
   most cases, but not when it's mixed with non-trans updates

2. as discussed, have a flag to mark non-trans-updates transactions and
   don't run them in parallel at all. then a transactional engine will
   work without modifications.

but that's for 10.1, if we do innodb-only fix in 10.0, it means we
aren't concerned with other engines there.

> But in some cases the deadlock, kill, and retry is unnecessary. This is about
> the issue in MDEV-5914, for example:
>
>   T1: UPDATE t1 SET secondary=NULL WHERE primary=1
>   T2: DELETE t1 WHERE secondary <= 3
>
> If T1 and T2 were group-committed together on the master, we know that it is
> safe to run them in parallel, so we can relax the gap lock taken by T2 that
> can block T1. Then we avoid having to rollback and retry T2.
>
> But if T2 committed in a different group commit on the master, we do not know
> that this relaxing of gap locks is safe. Because T2 may still run in parallel
> with the COMMIT of T1, we need to keep the gap locks, so that T2 will wait if
> it needs to access any row modified by T1.

How can T2 run in parallel with T1 if they're from different groups?

> The reason I think my original API is simpler is that there is just
> one very simple thing that the engine must do: call
> thd_report_wait_for(T1,T2) whenever T1 is about to wait until T2
> commits. Everything else is optional optimisations that can be safely
> ignored. It seems that any conceivable engine must already have easy
> access to knowledge about one transaction needing to wait for another.
> And indeed, in InnoDB only a couple of lines need to be added to
> handle this. So it is very simple to use.
> With your suggestion, however, things are more complex for the engine.
> It needs to implement additional deadlock detection, based on some
> enforced commit order. The very concept of "enforced commit order" is
> probably something new. And it needs to implement some way to resolve
> deadlocks with another transaction T2 that may or may not be running
> inside the engine. So again, a new concept is introduced, "Is
> transaction T running inside this engine"?

Hmm, okay... When you put it this way, it does sound simpler.
Allright, let's keep thd_report_wait_for() :)