Re: Any plans about starting to use /var/lib/mariadb for data instead of /var/lib/mysql?

Hi,

I dont think that the option to have one datadir per major version (eg: /var/lib/mysql-5.6) is a good idea, it will add confusion and might break scripts or symlinks on major version upgrade for example while only one major version should exist at once on the system (at least if the current way of handling mysql versions is done on Debian).

As for the switching to a different datadir, it would also imply to use a different config directory as well such as /etc/mariadb as the datadir is actually set on /etc/mysql/my.cnf.

The whole debate depends on the possibility to install mariadb and mysql on the same system, if its not the path chosen, i would prefer to keep the /var/lib/mysql datadir as the default datadir and add checks on mysql/mariadb-server packages purge not to remove the datadir if any of the fork packages is still installed and throw a warning message about the possible incompatibility and upgrade methods on "migration".

Creating a script to simplify the migration for non-drop-in forks (eg: maria10 and mysql5.6) would also be a possibility, it would check if any of the tables on the server has a table engine that is not present on the other (eg: aria on mysql) or specific row/columns formats and would dump all tables and grants and import it on the new installation.

Regards.