Re: [Commits] Rev 4376: MDEV-6676: Speculative parallel replication in http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~maria-captains/maria/10.0

Hi Kristian,

That's an intriguing proposal.  There are numerous applications involving
tasks like restoring backups in parallel where being able to ensure all or
nothing commit across a group of client threads would be incredibly handy.
To my knowledge no other RDBMS offers it.  It's also a great feature for
data warehouse loading.  We usually have to fake it on Tungsten by tricks
to make transactions idempotent.  These work poorly in conventional RDBMS
due to constraint checking.

What would be cool is something like a group transaction that other threads
can join so that the commit becomes atomic. Most of the parallel load use
cases I can think of don't require you to coordinate things like isolation
because they are conflict free anyway--it's just atomic group commit.

I had a quick look in Weikum and Vossen (2002).  If you have that handy
there are several interesting discussions about parallel transactions. It
sounds as if you have something similar baked in and just need to expose
it. (But you probably read W&V closely already before writing any code. :)

Cheers, Robert

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM, Kristian Nielsen <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx