Re: Cross-compiling MariaDB galera cluster

Hi! I'm finally working on this again.

On 14/08/2014 14:48, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
>> It seems that STACK_DIRECTION is not automatically determined
>> when
>>> cross-compiling. I may determine the correct value for a given
>>> target. But if I need a portable solution (and I need one in
>>> order to create a buildroot package so that I can build for
>>> many different target without too much hassle) I'm not sure
>>> what my options are. It seems that the toolchain is aware of
>>> this value since stack direction (or more precisely
>>> STACK_GROWS_DOWNWARD) is set in
>>> ./output/host/opt/ext-toolchain/lib/gcc/arm-none-linux-gnueabi/4.8.1/plugin/include/config/arm/arm.h
>>

> Maybe there is a way to use this somehow? What do you think? May
> be... These files are for building gcc plugins. How do I get to
> this STACK_GROWS_DOWNWARD? And what if it's not defined or the file
> doesn't exist?

After discussing this issue with the buildroot community it seems that
it's not a good idea to try to use this file, at least with buildroot.
Since most modern architectures have a stack that grows down. The only
exception I know of is PA-RISC and it seems it's not supported by
buildroot. Therefore I'll juste hardcode the correct value (-1). I'm
sorry I can't propose a better solution :(

However I've read here and there (for example [1]) that trying to
determine to automatically determine the stack direction wasn't too
reliable... So really, I don't know, but maybe this value should be
harcoded? For example in an lsit of pairs (arch,stack_direction)?

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/664744/what-is-the-direction-of-stack-growth-in-most-modern-systems

Regards,

- --