Re: auth_socket/unix_socket auth plugin naming incompatibility with Percona Server

Hi Sergei,

On Mon, 2015-02-23 at 14:30 +0100, Sergei Golubchik wrote:
> Hi, John!
>
> On Feb 19, John Leach wrote:
> >
> > On Percona I am indeed explicitly loading this in the config file
> > using:
> >
> > plugin-load=auth_socket.so
> >
> > If I use this same config line in MariaDB, that is enough to get
> > unix_socket registered.
> >
> > So the problem is only that the symbol differs between projects for
> > the same plugin.
> >
> > Is that something it's worth filing a bug about? Is the aim for
> > Percona/MariaDB to be compatible where possible?
>
> Yes, I suppose so. I cannot say who will fix it, though, we or Percona.

it seems to me that, if the aim is for percona and mariadb to be
compatible where possible, both projects now need to support both auth
definitions.

If that is the aim anyway!

> Generally we avoid having plugin type in the plugin name. XtraDB isn't
> called "engine_xtradb". One simply writes
>
>   create table ... engine=xtradb
>
> not
>
>   create table ... engine=engine_xtradb
>
> Similarly, authentication plugin names describe authentication method
> only, for example:
>
>   create user ... identified via pam
>   create user ... identified via unix_socket
>
> and so on.

thanks for the clarification.

John.