Re: MariaDB replication event generators?

James Cheng <jcheng@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Jun 7, 2015, at 12:05 AM, Kristian Nielsen <knielsen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> James Cheng <jcheng@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>>
>>> I recently read your old blog post from 2010
>>> (http://kristiannielsen.livejournal.com/14305.html) about some ideas
>>> for MariaDB replication. In particular, your ideas for replication
>>> event generators that would allow plugins to be written to receive
>>> replication events.
>>>
>>> Did this work ever happen in MariaDB? Or anything close/equivalent? If
>>> so, could you point me to something so that I can learn more about it?
>>
>> Unfortunately, nothing like this ever happened.

> That's too bad. Are there any interesting details about why it never
> happened? Was it simply due to not enough time, not high enough
> priority? Was there any technical or organizational resistance to the
> actual ideas or functionality? If someone were to build this today and
> contribute it back to the community, do you think it would be
> accepted?

I think there was not enough interest and/or time/priority. For example,
Galera cluster would be a prime example for something using this kind of
API. But the developers did not prioritise spending time working on such
API, rather they hacked in their functionality all over the server. It is
the same with other parties in the community, everyone is focused on solving
their own narrow problem, not in working together. And MySQL@Oracle, of
course, is not interested in anything that involves working with anyone else
on the code.

So I don't see much chance in the current state of the community of any
significant effort being spent neither on developing such an API, nor on
using it.

 - Kristian.