Re: any plans to bump soname for libmysqlclient.so?

Hi Honza,

> On 3 Nov 2015, at 13:55, Honza Horak <hhorak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hi, mysql 5.7 bumped soname of the libmysqlclient.so. Are there any plans to do something like that in mariadb's libmysqlclient.so?
>
> I'm also wondering whether there are any particular plans to keep compatibility of the client library (libmysqlclient.so) between MariaDB and MySQL in the future.

mariadb.org says "MariaDB An enhanced, drop-in replacement for MySQL.” so removing such compatibility would drop that promise.
Doing so would potentially require using Oracle MySQL libraries and maybe also having MariaDB libraries installed. I can see that being fun.
I would hope that promise would be maintained or if not it would be clear to people how to work where necessary with both sets of libraries.
That is clarify what “drop-in replacement" really means.

Simon