Re: [MariaDB/server] MDEV-9857: line cache size (to 10.1) (#169)

Hi, Kristian!

On May 05, Kristian Nielsen wrote:
> Sergey Vojtovich <notifications@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > Since Alexey's patch wasn't yet accepted by MySQL we need his
> > confirmation that we can take it under BSD-new or MCA
> > terms. @akopytov, could you confirm?
>
> That _really_ is completely ridiculous! So here we have a patch. You will
> gladly accept it from MySQL/Oracle under GPL v2, without any special
> conditions. But the very same patch, submitted directly by the original
> author, you will not take??!?

This patch was contributed to Oracle under OCA. It's not GPLv2. Oracle
might or might not publish it under GPLv2. If Oracle will do it - we
will be able to take it under GPLv2. But until then - there's no license
on it that allows us to use it.

> Now, obviously this is not something Sergey Vojtovich invented on his own, I
> doubt he even agrees personally. So Otto, you specifically asked me to be
> more vocal about MariaDB Foundation issue. Can we please have your personal
> opinions on this idea of BSD/contributer agreement for selected potential
> contributers?
>
> I have from the very start of MariaDB been strongly opposed to any form of
> contributer agreements or reciprocal licensing.
> had it in practice, since all major contributions (MySQL@Oracle, XtraDB,
> oqgraph, sphinx, tokudb, galera, ...) were GPL only.
> But recently we have this message to potential contributers that the MariaDB
> Foundation "needs" to have BSD or MCA.

You miss the fact that the patch we're talking about is not GPLv2.
The question is not about relicensing GPLv2 patch under BSD. It's about
getting any license at all.

Chief Architect MariaDB
and security@xxxxxxxxxxx