Blackhole, Archive and others only as loadable plugins in 10.1 - intentional change?

In MariaDB 10.1 binary packages several storage engines, e.g BLACKHOLE
and ARCHIVE, are no longer compiled in by default but only come as
loadable plugins that need to be loaded into the server explicitly.

This is mentioned on the knowledge base pages for these engines,
e.g. https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/blackhole/
and https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/archive/
but is not mentioned in the release notes and the detailed changelog
pages for 10.1.x releases at all.

I also searched my "maria-developers" and "maria-discuss" mail archives
but could not find any discussion or announcement on this topic either.
Same for Jira, can't find any ticket that would describe that sort of
change there either.

Problems with the current situation:

* comes as a surprise for installation using these storage engines when
upgraded to 10.1

* mysql_upgrade should handle this, but doesn't:
https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-11942

* it is not even easily possible to identify affected tables after an
upgrade to 10.1. For BLACKHOLE tables I_S.TABLES only shows these under
specific conditions, and for ARCHIVE it seems to be impossible to
identify affected tables at all if the plugin is not loaded
https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-11943

I have submitted a a fix for MDEV-11942, but without
having a fix for MDEV-11943 it only works for BLACKHOLE so far, not
for ARCHIVE (haven't tested FEDERATED or other potentially affected
engines yet). https://github.com/MariaDB/server/pull/304

--
Hartmut Holzgraefe, Principal Support Engineer (EMEA)
MariaDB Corporation | http://www.mariadb.com/

Follow ups