Re: RFC: new replication feature "per-engine mysql.gtid_slave pos"

jocelyn fournier <jocelyn.fournier@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Why not using the XA support flag of the engine to check if we should
> create the gtid_slave_pos_{engine} file ?

The only additional engine currently that supports XA is Spider, if my grep
skills are not failing me.

But Spider does not seem appropriate for automatically creating
mysql.gtid_slave_pos_spider. I am not even sure it is possible to create a
Spider table without specifying some remote server to connect to.

In general, I am fine with choosing auto-creating engines based on some
generic criteria, if that is what people wants.

It just seems to me better to write in the documentation an explicit list of
engines that users can expect to have automatically created tables for, to
try to avoid unpleasant surprises. Like this one with the Spider engine. So
adding an engine that automatically creates a table requires a conscious
decision.

Of course, normally we try to avoid hardcoded lists of specific engines. But
we do have it in some places. For example, there is a list of engines that
are built-in to the server by default. Maybe auto-creating
mysql.gtid_slave_pos could be considered similar.

But let me know what you think.