Re: [GSOC] Table functions (aka SQL functions returning tables)

Hi Pranjal,

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 09:53:08PM +0530, Pranjal Rai wrote:
> My name is Pranjal and I am a 4th year student at IIIT Hyderabad. I am
> interested in working on the project  MDEV-8100
> <https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-8100> "Table functions (aka SQL
> functions returning tables)".
> I read the description of the task and it is quite clear to me. In the
> comments it is advised to consider creating TABLE datatype for the task. Is
> this task along with creation of TABLE datatype doable in the given
> timeline?

I think it is difficult to tell with certainity at this point.

AFAIU the sub-task of adding a table datatype is a nice to have, but should be
put at the end of the schedule:

- It depends on other tasks and no other tasks depend on it
- There are scenarios where MDEV-8100 is usable even if TABLE datatype is not
  implemented.

I personally would strongly prefer to see work for "MDEV-8100 without
TABLE-datatype" finished than unfinished "MDEV-8100 with table datatype".

(adding Bar on cc:)

BR
Sergei Petrunia, Software Developer
MariaDB Corporation | Skype: sergefp | Blog: http://s.petrunia.net/blog