Selecting Blob by parts (suppose select 10 to 100 char from blob )

Hello everyone!

On optimizer call (11-7-2018) it was discussed , instead of selecting
the whole blob , sometime we
just need to select the subpart of it. And we should extend
handler/engine api to facilitate this.

Although this looks like a interesting idea , Serg (and I ) did not
understand why we need this , what is use case of it.

Some use case which I think can be like optimizing substring
 SELECT SUBSTRING(blob_col, 4,4)   FROM t1;
And we can push down this SUBSTRING condition directly to storage engine.

But apart from this what use case this have ?

--
Regards
Sachin Setiya