Re: Help request: Contribute to MariaDB 10.3 in Debian efforts

Thanks Marko for taking a look!

Marko Mäkelä <marko.makela@xxxxxxxxxxx> kirjoitti la 5. tammik. 2019 klo
17.14:

> On December 19, 2018, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> > Bugs filed against MariaDB in Debian:
> >
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=mariadb-10.3
> [snip]
> > Please pick somethng that is close to your expertise and help out if you
> can! :)
>
> The only one that caught my eye is this one:
> "Enable innodb_large_prefix"
>
> I do not understand "Tags: wontfix", because MariaDB Server fixed this
> already in version 10.2 by changing the default value of the parameter
> and by deprecating the parameter.
> In MariaDB 10.3, I removed this useless parameter along with
> innodb_file_format.
>
> Originally, I did this in MySQL 5.7:
> https://dev.mysql.com/worklog/task/?id=7703
>
> That said, I do not see any reason to not set innodb_large_prefix=ON,
> innodb_file_format=barracuda, innodb_default_row_format=dynamic in
> Debian's sample configuration for MariaDB 10.1.
> The old default settings of these parameters could have been useful if
> you wanted to be able to downgrade to something older than MariaDB 5.5
> or MySQL 5.5.
>
> FWIW, I backported the parameter innodb_default_row_format to MariaDB
> Server 10.1.32 upon the request of a Debian developer or a fellow
> Debian user:
> MDEV-14904 Backport innodb_default_row_format
>
> Feel free to copy this information to the bug report, and to address
> this in the 10.1 packaging. In 10.2 and 10.3, the default values of
> the InnoDB parameters should be fine.

This was fixed 5 months ago
https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-10.1/commit/89ae638d1d3b5a7157d086a9be2468cae764aae7
https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-10.1/blob/master/debian/additions/mariadb.conf.d/50-server.cnf#L117

The bug you are looking at was filed against mariadb-10.0, which is a
wontfix. For 10.1 (and naturally 10.3) this is already fixed. I will update
the metadata for that bug now so that it does not pollute the mariadb-10.3
bug listing.

Note that there is a similar kind of bug for myisam at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=917088 that stem from the
same change (default charset utf8mb4 instead of latin1 -> makes keys
longer).