Re: Help request: Contribute to MariaDB 10.3 in Debian efforts

On December 19, 2018, Otto Kekäläinen wrote:
> Bugs filed against MariaDB in Debian:
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?repeatmerged=no&src=mariadb-10.3
[snip]
> Please pick somethng that is close to your expertise and help out if you can! :)

The only one that caught my eye is this one:
"Enable innodb_large_prefix"

I do not understand "Tags: wontfix", because MariaDB Server fixed this
already in version 10.2 by changing the default value of the parameter
and by deprecating the parameter.
In MariaDB 10.3, I removed this useless parameter along with innodb_file_format.

Originally, I did this in MySQL 5.7: https://dev.mysql.com/worklog/task/?id=7703

That said, I do not see any reason to not set innodb_large_prefix=ON,
innodb_file_format=barracuda, innodb_default_row_format=dynamic in
Debian's sample configuration for MariaDB 10.1.
The old default settings of these parameters could have been useful if
you wanted to be able to downgrade to something older than MariaDB 5.5
or MySQL 5.5.

FWIW, I backported the parameter innodb_default_row_format to MariaDB
Server 10.1.32 upon the request of a Debian developer or a fellow
Debian user:
MDEV-14904 Backport innodb_default_row_format

Feel free to copy this information to the bug report, and to address
this in the 10.1 packaging. In 10.2 and 10.3, the default values of
the InnoDB parameters should be fine.
--
Marko Mäkelä, Lead Developer InnoDB
MariaDB Corporation