Re: Performance of index intersection

Hi Sergey!

Actually fetching min & max value for each keys (key1=1 and key2=2 in your case) should not cost much?
Then you can compute the overlap zone (Zone B in your graph) and directly perform a jump on the beginning of Zone B and stop at the end of Zone B instead of EOF, using the index with the less amount of matching rows.

BR,
  Jocelyn

> [...]
>                      DBUG_SET("+d,innodb_report_deadlock"););
>      if (unlikely((error= quick->get_next())))
>      {
>        /* On certain errors like deadlock, trx might be rolled back.*/
>        if (!thd->transaction_rollback_request)
>          quick_with_last_rowid->file->unlock_row();
>        DBUG_RETURN(error);
>      }
>      quick->file->position(quick->record);
>      cmp= head->file->cmp_ref(quick->file->ref, last_rowid);
>      if (cmp < 0)
>      {
>        /* This row is being skipped.  Release lock on it. */
>        quick->file->unlock_row();
>      }
>    } while (cmp < 0);
>

> the quick->get_next() call (after several levels of indirection) do this
> storage engine API call:
>
>  handler->index_next_same();
>
> And the question is whether it would be faster if this call was made instead:
>
>  handler->index_read_map(key_value, rowid_of_match_candidate);
>
> The answer is that it's faster to do a jump when we will jump over many
> records. When we jump over a few, it is actually slower than making several
> index_next_same() calls.  The first reason for this is that doing seeks will
> break InnoDB's prefetch buffer optimization. There might be other reasons.
>
> I don't have any idea how one could predict the jump size.
>
> As for Zone A, we could jump it over with one jump. If we first read the rowid
> from "key2=2", then we could already use it when making a lookup with key1=1.
>
> But what if we first did an index lookup on key1=1? Then we will miss the
> chance to jump to the first rowid for that one sees for key2=2...
>
> If we assume that the first jump is more important than others, we could just
> look at the first record in each of the merged indexes and then feed them all
> back the maximum rowid we saw as the starting point. This would let us jump
> over zone A.
>
> I think, implementing "jump over zone A" is easier than inventing a way to do
> jumps while in zone B. (And this is actually what your idea was).
>

> A different question - are there any example datasets or queries we
> could try this on? One can of course construct an artificial dataset and
> queries but it would be much nicer to try this on a real dataset and a real
> query.
>
> BR
> -- Sergei P.
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 12:31:10PM +0300, Sergey Petrunia wrote:
>> Hello David,
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 09:07:09PM +1200, David Sickmiller wrote:
>>> I've been using MySQL/MariaDB for two decades but have more recently been
>>> working with Elasticsearch.  I knew to expect an inverted index to speed up
>>> querying full text fields, but I've been surprised (and a bit annoyed) at
>>> how fast ES can query structured data.  (In my case, I'm largely looking
>>> for intersections of a number of varchar fields with lowish cardinality,
>>> e.g. WHERE country = 'US' AND client = 'Microsoft' AND status =