From: Sergey Petrunia <sergey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2021 3:28 AM
To: Berrocal, Eduardo <eduardo.berrocal@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxx>; maria-developers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Igor Babaev <igor@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Maria-developers] Accessing read records during join for condition pushdown

Hi Eduardo,

On Thu, Jul 22, 2021 at 12:28:09AM +0000, Berrocal, Eduardo wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your response. The way you showed seems to be the way to go.
> There is just one problem: all those functions are protected inside
> the JOIN_CACHE (and JOIN_CACHE_*) Classes. Which seems to suggest that code changes to the MariaDB core code is a necessity in this case.

Hi Eduardo,

(Adding Igor Babaev, the author of this code, to CC:)

== Short ==
* I think, making the iteration methods public is not a big deal. This would
  allow to iterate JOIN_CACHE_BNL.

* It seems, one can't iterate JOIN_CACHE_BNLH as easily.

== Long ==

=== Making iteration methods public ===

In my opinion, we can accept a patch that makes JOIN_CACHE iteration methods public.
This will allow one to iterate over records in JOIN_CACHE_BNL.

(One can check the join cache type by calling JOIN_CACHE::get_join_alg() which is public, and check for linked join cache(s) by traversing JOIN_CACHE::prev_cache which is also public)

=== On iterating JOIN_CACHE_BNLH ===

JOIN_CACHE_BNLH is the "hashed" variant of the join buffer. The join buffer is not an array but rather a hash table with the key being the value of some
column(s) in the join buffer.

When one calls JOIN_CACHE_BNLH::prepare_look_for_matches(), that function calls get_matching_chain_by_join_key(), which has an "implicit" parameter - the value of the join column.

Then, *next_candidate_for_match() functions iterate only over the rows with the matching hash value.

This means the interface won't work if one just wants to examine the contents of the join buffer.

Possible ways out:
A. Ingore this. The default @@join_cache_level value is 2, looking it up here:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/server-system-variables/#join_cache_level one can see that this means hashed join buffers are not used by default.

2. Develop a method to iterate over all values in the join buffer. This should be doable.

--
BR