Re: MariaDB and the SCA

Hi Arjen,

Thanks for giving us the inside on that one. It has been a point of confusion for me, and I have read the GPL a few times to try to figure it out.

In the meantime I am certain that my understanding is correct, that there is nothing illegal about shipping mysqld with a closed source program (as long as you don't link any part of the MySQL code).

And now that Sun themselves are maintaining a BSD client library, that pretty much clears up the question of whether that is legal as well (i.e. none of this, as discussed by Mark and yourself, the protocol is GPL, therefore a client library must be GPL as well).