Re: mariadb-mysql command-line problem on CentOS 5.5 i386

Hi, Daniel!

On Aug 23, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:

> I saw a comment today from Eric Koh on the Knowledgebase article for the
> mysql Command-line Client:
> http://kb.askmonty.org/v/mysql-command-line-client

> mariadb-mysql command-line problem on CentOS 5.5 i386
> I tried these 2 RPMs
>
> MariaDB-client-5.1.42-68.el5.i386.rpm
> MariaDB-client-5.1.49-82.el5.i386.rpm
>
> I get this message when starting the mysql client mysql: symbol
> mysql_get_server_name, version libmysqlclient_16 not defined in file
> libmysqlclient.so.16 with link time reference
>
> running ldconfig/rebooting doesnt help.
>
> The RPMs for the server are fine though. I am thus using MariaDB-server
> and MariaDB-shared together with MySQL-client-community
>
> Anyone know what might be going on here?

Eh. I'd reply that comments to mysql-command-line-client page on kb is
not an appropriate place for comments like that.

Anyway, quick grepping shows that mysql_get_server_name() is something
present in the mariadb tree and not present in the mysql tree. So,
obviously he is trying to use mysql command line client from mariadb
with libmysqlclient.so from mysql. Why and how is a different question.
May be some rpm is not installed, or wrong rpm is installed, or
mysql's libmysqlclient.so is found before maria's libmysqlclient.so.
It's for him to find out.

Regards,
Sergei