Re: mariadb-mysql command-line problem on CentOS 5.5 i386

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 00:06:35 +0200
Sergei Golubchik <serg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sergei> Hi, Daniel!

Hello!

Sergei> On Aug 23, Daniel Bartholomew wrote:
Daniel>
Daniel> I saw a comment today from Eric Koh on the Knowledgebase
Daniel> article for the mysql Command-line Client:
Daniel> http://kb.askmonty.org/v/mysql-command-line-client
Daniel>
Daniel> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel> mariadb-mysql command-line problem on CentOS 5.5 i386
Daniel> I tried these 2 RPMs
Daniel>
Daniel> MariaDB-client-5.1.42-68.el5.i386.rpm
Daniel> MariaDB-client-5.1.49-82.el5.i386.rpm
Daniel>
Daniel> I get this message when starting the mysql client mysql:
Daniel> symbol mysql_get_server_name, version libmysqlclient_16 not
Daniel> defined in file libmysqlclient.so.16 with link time reference
Daniel>
Daniel> running ldconfig/rebooting doesnt help.
Daniel>
Daniel> The RPMs for the server are fine though. I am thus using
Daniel> MariaDB-server and MariaDB-shared together with
Daniel> MySQL-client-community
Daniel> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel>
Daniel> Anyone know what might be going on here?

Sergei> Eh. I'd reply that comments to mysql-command-line-client page
Sergei> on kb is not an appropriate place for comments like that.

Yeah, I was planning on putting something along those lines into the
reply.

Sergei> Anyway, quick grepping shows that mysql_get_server_name() is
Sergei> something present in the mariadb tree and not present in the
Sergei> mysql tree. So, obviously he is trying to use mysql command
Sergei> line client from mariadb with libmysqlclient.so from mysql. Why
Sergei> and how is a different question. May be some rpm is not
Sergei> installed, or wrong rpm is installed, or mysql's
Sergei> libmysqlclient.so is found before maria's libmysqlclient.so.
Sergei> It's for him to find out.

Ok, I thought something like that might be going on, but you found some
proof. :)

Thanks!

--
Daniel Bartholomew