Re: Installing MariaDB using MySQL Workbench on Windows

When MariaDB first told publicly that they would relase '5.2' i strong
recommended that they did not. The problem is that *generic clients*
(clients that are supposed to support multiple server versions - what
includes all GUI clients) will need to execute SELECT VERSION() to identify
what features the server supports (EVENTS or not, LOAD DATA XML or not and
so on).  Further there actually was a MySQL 5.2 some years ago (it was
continued as 6.0).  So the version '5.2' is ambigious really. This is not a
big deal as nobody takes the old MySQL 5.2 seriously (even though it is
still on official MySQL FTP-mirrors).  But such ambiguity should be avoided
in the future - PLEASE! :-)

The actual problem with MariaDB registering in WB can be solved by setting
up the service as 'mysqlmaria52' in Windows (as far as I remember services
can be 16 characters).

-- Peter