failed to initialize plugins error

Hi all!

Moin moin, Privet!

I have the latest 5.3 compiled as well as a client's own storage
engine. The compile, link, all went well. I do notice they only
compile their engine statically, but see symbols for it in mysqld:

000000000081d4f0 T filepro_rkey
000000000081d9f0 T filepro_rnext
000000000081da80 T filepro_rprev
000000000081d350 T filepro_rrange
000000000081db20 T filepro_rrnd
000000000081ddc0 T filepro_scan
000000000081dde0 T filepro_scan_init
0000000000e747c8 B filepro_share_list
0000000000e52ea0 D filepro_storage_engine
000000000081de00 T filepro_update
000000000081e020 T filepro_write
0000000000e74798 b ha_filepro_exts

So, when I start mysqld, I get the error:

"[ERROR] Failed to initialize plugins."

If I run this with strace, I don't see it trying to load a particular
shared library file, just it logging messages to the log, opening
replication log and index. So, not sure what I need to load with
"plugin_load". When I configured MariaDB top compile, I used the
following (per what the client uses with their successful build of
MySQL 5.1.30)

./configure --with-plugins=all --without-plugin-oqgraph
--with-charset=utf8 --enable-assembler --enable-profiling
--enable-community-features --without-plugin-ndbcluster
--prefix=/usr/local/maria

I'm guessing that I'm missing something obvious and simple?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Patrick

Follow ups