Re: getting all name-value pairs from a dynamic column

Hi!

Jakob> Monty,

Jakob> I wrote this function already, and had it working as fast as any query, if
Jakob> you'd like my code I wrote for a previous employer (and was NOT used, so
Jakob> is available) I would gladly turn this over to the project.
Jakob> I called it JSONIFY(QUERY_TEXT).

Yes, please post it to me and I will take a look at including that
into MariaDB.

I assume it's ok that you give us the code under the new BSD license
(no attribution)?

Regards,
Monty

Jakob> Jakob Lorberblatt

>> Hi!

MARK> These docs are excellent --
>> http://kb.askmonty.org/en/dynamic-columns
>>
>> Thanks.

MARK> How do you fetch all name-value pairs from a dynamic column in a
MARK> format that can be consumed by a client?

>> Do you mean from SQL or in the client library?

MARK> The client can select the
MARK> column as is but then must know how mariadb encoded it.

>> Sorry, don't understand the question.
>>
>> When asking for a value for a column in the client , you get back a
>> structure that tells how the data is encoded. See the 'struct
>> st_dynamic_column_value'

MARK> The function
MARK> column_list returns the column names.

>> Yes, even if the column names are numbers for the moment.

MARK> If there were a function that
MARK> encoded all name-value pairs as JSON, then the client could do
MARK> something like this and be able to decode the result:
MARK> select column_json(dynamic_column_name) from t where ...

Jakob> Post to     : maria-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx