Re: [debian-mysql] MySQL's future in Debian and Ubuntu

Hi Alex,

Am 16.02.2012 19:33, schrieb Alex Esterkin:
As an end user, I would most strongly dislike this.  You clearly don't
understand how corporate users think and operate, how they work with
open source technologies, and how they plan and evolve their technical
roadmaps.

I think I understand a bit of how corporate users think and operate.

When you are an enterprise user who has subscribed support from MySQL via Oracle you are enforced to use the Oracle binaries and cannot just use the distribution supplied binaries at all. This includes bugfixes and security fixes from your vendor, in this case Oracle (not Debian or any other distribution).

When you do not have such a subscription you rely on the support from your distribution. That's the point this whole discussion is about. Neighter Debian nor Ubuntu can offer reliable bugfixes and security support. Not because they don't want to. Their hands are bound because MySQL/Oracle somehow is not willing to provide important information such as detailed changelogs or security information.

This leads us to the following options:
 * Stay with MySQL but no security nor bugfixes
* Search for an alternative which is even 100% compatible with MySQL + having full community support

From my personal as well as my business perspective I want a system where I can get bugfixes as well as security fixes. You should consider those questions in your roadmap as well.