Re: getting all name-value pairs from a dynamic column

Isn't this request something like this
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/xml-functions.html - only not only
XML but also JSON should be supported?

I remember when this XML functionality was introduced in early MySQL 5.1
there was quite a lot of *buzz* about it.  I never heard anything about it
since. I have not even seen a bug report! It seems that nobody knows it and
nobody uses it.

I agree that JSON is an important format.  But there are lots such. A
little polemically I could say that as since some people store .mp3/.mp4
snippets in a BLOB why not add a media streaming functionality to the
server ... and playback functionalities to the standard client :-)

I think such stuff belongs in a 'stored functions library' and are not a
core server feature.  But I realize that as long as stored functions
programming only supports SQL (and not Perl like in Postgsql and not C# as
in recent SQL Server) it is not really much feasible. Currently it requires
coding in the application/client environment (such as a PHP class for
instance).

(you may find this an off-topic comment from a non-coder (and you are
right) - but I wanted to put a little perspective on this.  IMHO this
reqeust arises bcos of poor 'stored programs' programming options in MySQL)

-- Peter
-- Webyog