Re: MariaDB repositories - GPG keys and website distro version references

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012 11:19:09 +1000 (EST)
Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arjen> Hi Daniel
Arjen>
Arjen> The repository tool on mariadb.com is awesome!
Arjen> I spotted a few things, hope you find the feedback of use:

Thanks! Glad you like it. And thanks for the feedback too!

Arjen>
Arjen> 1) On Debian/Ubuntu, apt-get will require a valid gpg key in its
Arjen> keyring to accept the packages.
Arjen>
Arjen> As root, you can do
Arjen>   gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 1BB943DB
Arjen>   gpg --export 1BB943DB | apt-key add -
Arjen>   ... the other stuff
Arjen>   apt-get update
Arjen>
Arjen> although
Arjen>      sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver
Arjen> keyserver.ubuntu.com 1BB943DB should also work. This adds your
Arjen> key and after that apt-get update will add the repo info to its
Arjen> package database so packages can be installed/upgraded.

We have instructions for the above on our Installing MariaDB .deb Files
page in the KB. We link to the instructions from the repository tool
(as part of the generated text).

Arjen> That said, the nicer method from Karmic (9.10) is
Arjen>    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
Arjen>    sudo add-apt-repository <path>
Arjen>    sudo apt-get update
Arjen>
Arjen> where <path> is the url you now represent for adding into the
Arjen> apt software sources. The distro tag (natty, etc) and 'main' get
Arjen> sorted out automatically by default.
Arjen>
Arjen> (so the first method needs to be displayed for 8.04 (Hardy)

That method is better. I'll look into updating the tool to use that
(for distributions which have the add-apt-repository command).

Arjen> 2) the repo install info on mariadb.com does not show which new
Arjen> package names become available for installation/upgrade. It'd be
Arjen> great if it were to show a list of "now you can install the
Arjen> server by doing "sudo apt-get install/upgrade ...", if you want
Arjen> just the command line client do ..., for the client libraries
Arjen> do ...

This sort of information is more for our Installing MariaDB .deb Files
and Installing MariaDB with yum pages. I want the repository
configuration tool to stay a tool and not become a full-blown
documentation page. That said, the pages could be improved.

http://kb.askmonty.org/en/installing-mariadb-with-yum/
http://kb.askmonty.org/en/installing-mariadb-deb-files/

Arjen> 3) the distro names currently don't show version numbers, e.g.
Arjen> Ubuntu Natty is not identified as 11.04 For both Ubuntu and
Arjen> Debian it'd be handy to have the numbers there also as it's
Arjen> clearer for users; some people are fine with the naming, others
Arjen> need the numbers.

Yes, showing the version numbers would be a good thing. I'll look into
that as well.

Thanks again!

--
Daniel Bartholomew
  Google+ - http://gplus.to/dbart

MariaDB: An Enhanced Drop-in Replacement for MySQL
        Website - http://mariadb.org
        Twitter - http://twitter.com/mariadb
        Google+ - http://gplus.to/mariadb
       Facebook - http://fb.com/MariaDB.dbms