Re: [Maria-developers] Json Explain

Peter,

You are right that EXPLAIN in any format has nothing to do with the
optimizer. Looking at the piece of the MySQL code that forms the strings
for the EXPLAIN anyone could easily come up with the patch providing
JSON format for the EXPLAIN (even with the extensions of MySQL 5.6) and
it would take him/her 2-3 days at most (maybe even a few hours).

That's why we are reluctant to pull the existing implementation of JSON
format from MySQL 5.6 into MariaDB. The patch is huge and overburdened
with unneeded complexities. Besides it contains a lot of "restructuring"
code that has nothing to do with the feature itself.

Personally I think that the content in the current EXPLAIN (including
the content of the EXPLAIN EXTENDED) is so shallow that any graphical
representation hardly can help it (compare it, for example, with the
info provided by MS SQL server).

If, nevertheless, you badly need the feature and is ready to co-sponsor
the feature (together with MP AB) we could discuss the details of the
possible simple implementation. And of course we will support it in
MariaDB if anybody else provide us with a patch for such an implementation.

Regards,
Igor.