Trouble installing MariaDB 5.5 on Ubuntu 12.04 (& 12.10)

Gang,

I've installed MariaDB on several Debian/Ubuntu systems in the past few
months, without any issues.

~2 days ago on an Unbuntu 12.10 system did an apt-get
update/upgrade/dist-upgrade. I believe that MariaDB was updated in that
process. After the updates, mysql was "gone" My apps couldn't find it, it
wasn't running, etc. I was in a hurry so I had to fall back to the standard
mysql package so not a lot of into there.

I built a new Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server, added the Maria repo, did an apt-get
update/ugprade/dist-upgrade. Rebooted.

Here's some output... I'm stuck in this loop.

root@nn01:~# apt-get install mariadb-server
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 mariadb-server : Depends: mariadb-server-5.5 but it is not going to be
installed
root@nn01:~# apt-get install mariadb-server-5.5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 mariadb-server-5.5 : Depends: mariadb-client-5.5 (>=
5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: mariadb-server-core-5.5 (>=
5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise) but it is not going to be installed
root@nn01:~# apt-get install mariadb-client-5.5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

 mariadb-client-5.5 : Depends: libdbd-mysql-perl (>= 1.2202) but it is not
going to be installed
                      Depends: mariadb-common but it is not going to be
installed
                      Depends: libmariadbclient18 (>=
5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise) but it is not going to be installed
                      Depends: mariadb-client-core-5.5 (>=
5.5.28-mariadb-a1~precise) but it is not going to be installed
root@nn01:~#

Follow ups